Mountain biking is adventurous, exciting, exhilarating, and dangerous. No matter how experienced you are, you should always wear a bike helmet when biking.
Purchasing a helmet is a decision that should not be taken lightly. You will be dodging trees and hurtling over rocks, so spending a bit extra on a great helmet is a great investment.
Safety features, fit, comfort, and type of helmet will all factor into your choice. But, with the wide variety of models available on the market, it can be difficult to choose the best mountain bike helmet for you.
We have taken a look at 5 of the best helmets available today to help you make a more informed decision.
Top 5 Mountain Bike Helmet Comparison Chart
Best Mountain Bike Helmet Reviews
1. JBM Adult Cycling Bike Helmet
JBM International has incorporated specialized air ventilation and aerodynamic design that lets fresh air move through your helmet easily, keeping your head cool without slowing you down.
This bike helmet by JBM comes in a standard size with an easy-to-use adjustment dial and adjustable straps, so you can adapt this helmet to custom fit your head size. It can be worn comfortably by men and women.
This helmet has been constructed using sturdy, durable PVC and PC plastics for the shell and EPS foam for the liner. This foam is designed to absorb the shocks felt in an impact, protecting your head.
The specialized air vent and aerodynamic design ensures that you have proper ventilation through your helmet while not being slowed down as you cycle. Plus, you head will not overheat if you wear this helmet for extended lengths of time.
This comfortable and breathable helmet is very lightweight and comes in 18 various colors, allowing you to find one that best suits your bike color or personality.
This JBM International helmet comes with CPSC safety certification, meaning that it has met the required standards needed to protect your head properly in a collision.
You can easily adjust this helmet and the padded straps don’t rub on your skin as you ride. The visor ensure that your eyes are protected from the elements, particularly sun and wind.
- CAN ADJUSTABLE TO DIFFERENT HEAD SIZE: This adult cycling helmet goes with a standard size, equipped with the easy-use dial system and side straps make this nutcase helmet adjustable to different head size and suitable for both men and women.
- IMPACT RESISTANCE: This nutcase bike helmet is specially designed for adult rider. Material use the tough and durable PVC & PC, EPS foam which help absorb the impact and protect the head during crash.
- VENTILATION: The adoption of specialized aerodynamic and ventilation design allow air go through the biking helmet which help increase the speed and keep stay cool.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: This biking helmet made of lightweight material, the inner pad use of breathable material to wear comfortably.
- Package included: 1 x Helmet
What's to like about the JBM Adult Cycling Bike Helmet
The JBM Adult Cycling Bike Helmet is made of durable materials which makes it comfortable and lightweight. It features special air vents for optimum ventilation.
What's not to like about the JBM Adult Cycling Bike Helmet
Though this helmet is customizable, the JBM Adult Cycling Bike Helmet is not ideal for larger head size. Straps may loosen at times with much movement.
2. Schwinn Thrasher Helmet
This helmet is well-known for its safety features, such as the hard shell which is great for absorbing shocks in a collision. The inside of the helmet is padded, offering comfort. It is also durable and strong – just what you want in a helmet.
This helmet is popularly used by seasoned bikers and professionals who know how important it is to protect your head when mountain biking. The dual fit adjustment system creates a safe and snug fit while the chin strap holds the helmet in place as you tear up the trail.
The Schwinn Thrasher has 21 integrated vents that keep your head cool as you ride. The shape of the helmet prevents sweat from building up inside. The symmetry of the helmet also stops bacteria from growing.
The moisture-wicking pads that have been integrated into the helmet help keep your head dry. The ergonomic inner wedding also allows you to wear this helmet comfortably and adjust it for a custom fit.
Your eyes are protected by the detachable visor which prevents dirt and debris from getting into your eyes while also providing protection from the sun.
This helmet is available in two colors and can be purchased in size 22 and 24. The inner pads can be removed with ease and machine washed so that they are always clean and hygienic.
- This schwinn thrasher lightweight helmet is designed for adults; suggested age range: 14 years old and up; suggested head circumference: 22.88 to 24.5 inches
- Schwinn 360° comfort pairs a dial adjustable fit system with full range padding for the perfect customized, comfortable fit
- Lightweight, three piece microshell enhances durability without weighing you down
- 20 top air vents provide crucial ventilation on hot summer rides
- Adjustable side straps allow you to fine tune fit and comfort and detachable visor helps reduce glare
What's to like about the Schwinn Thrasher Helmet
The Schwinn Thrasher has integrated air vents to keep the biker's head well ventilated. It also has an adjustable design for more comfort.
What's not to like about the Schwinn Thrasher Helmet
Although it is adjustable, this helmet is not suited for larger heads. In very hot conditions, the outer shell may deform or warp.
3. Bell Transfer-9 Helmet
The Transfer-9 bike helmet is unlike anything you have seen. It is a proper mix between road riding helmet safety and motocross technology that has resulted in a safe and protective helmet that can be used daily and costs a lot less than many other helmets in this niche.
This helmet has a composite shell that is built to last. Weighing in at 1250 grams, this helmet is slightly heavier than most other helmets, but not so much that it will hinder your riding.
The Transfer-9 has CPSC, CE EN1078, ASTM F2032-06, and ASTM F1952-00 safety certifications, so you know this helmet has been thoroughly tested for your safety.
The helmet has snap-removable, 3D-formed cheek pads that are machine washable, as is the rest of the interior padding. The antimicrobial treatment that the padding receives resists mold and odors.
The Transfer-9 comes in 14 different colors and is available in 7 sizes ranging from X-small to 2X-large. The helmet comes with 5 front vents, 4 rear vents, and 3 brow vents which keep your head well-ventilated and cool. The removable visor protects your eyes from the sun and debris.
The Soundtrax speaker pockets allow you to keep your earbuds in the pockets so you can listen to your favorite music as your ride. The helmet also has a camera mount so that you can record your trail rides.
- Shell Material: composite
- Multiple Impact: no
- Ventilation: Overbrow vents
- Fit Adjustment: XT-2 pads, 3D formed cheekpads
- Certifications: CPSC Bicycle, CE EN 1078, ASTM F1952, ASTM F2032-06
What's to like about the Bell Transfer-9 Helmet
The Bell Transfer-9 Helmet is available in 14 colors and 7 sizes. It has a durable shell for added protection.
What's not to like about the Bell Transfer-9 Helmet
The Bell Transfer-9 Helmet does not have much instructions on how to fit the helmet. The larger sizes are also considered to be quite small.
4. Fox Metah Mountain Bike Helmet
This helmet has great features like a large visor, extra protection at the back, and large air vent openings. The Metah has an accommodating, wide shell that fits comfortably, soft inner padding, and a simple adjustment system.
The lightweight, molded polycarbonate build of the shell ensures a great strength to weight ratio. The inside has the Varizorb multi-density impact reducing system that protects your head in a collision.
The 10 large vents ensure great air flow and the fixed visor is positioned and shaped in a way that does not impact the airflow through the helmet.
The side straps are fixed with anchors and are easy to adjust as well as take the helmet on and off. The liner has sealed edges that improve the comfort when wearing the helmet for extended amounts of time, while also offering moisture management.
There are bright, cool color schemes available that suit everyone’s taste. This helmet offers great value for money, and for the price, it is hard to beat the level of protection offered.
- Combination of MIPS and dual density Varizorb EPS liners reduce rotational forces in a crash, and spread the force of impact across a wider area
- Integrated chinbar is secured to main helmet structure with patent pending system, and meets ASTM downhill standards
- 15 Big Bore intake vents and 9 exhaust vents provide enhanced breathability and make the Proframe incredibly lightweight
- Fidlock SNAP helmet buckle provides quick entry and exit while wearing gloves
- ASTM F1952, EN 1078, AS/NZ 2063 and CPSC Certified
What's to like about the Fox Metah Mountain Bike Helmet
The Fox Metah Mountain Bike Helmet is equipped with 10 vent and has a comfortable fit. The lightweight, molded polycarbonate shell offers protection too.
What's not to like about the Fox Metah Mountain Bike Helmet
Unfortunately this helmet has fewer features compared with other helmets with the same price. It does not also have an MIPS system.
5. KINGBIKE Adult/Youth Bike Helmet
This helmet is super lightweight and comfortable while still being very durable and strong, offering proper protection for your head when you are cycling on the road or trails.
The outer shell and the foam liner have been fused together through the in-mold construction. The liner absorbs any impact experienced in a collision. The fusing process gives the helmet a better ventilation system, effectively cooling your head and keeping the helmet lightweight and durable.
This helmet comes with a rear light that increases your visibility. The light has three modes: fast flash, always on, and slow flash.
The 24 air vents give you ample ventilation to ensure you get great temperature regulation while making sure that the helmet does not slow you down.
You can purchase this helmet in two sizes: M/L which fits head sizes 56 to 60 cm, and L/XL which fits head sizes 59 - 63 cm. The adjustable dial system lets you custom fit this helmet to your head shape and size.
The visor protects your eyes from the wind, rain, dust, and sun, while the rain cover protects your helmet from damage and aging.
- Rear light for Safety; Equip with 3 modes Helmet Led Rear light for safety(Always On,Fast Flash,Slow Flash)
- Ultra Lightweight for Comfortable; Only 0.49lb In-Mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner,It very comfortable to wear
- Ample Ventilation; 24 Vents keep Ample Ventilation for ultimate temperature regulation and reducing resistance
- Adjustable dial to customize fit; Fits head sizes(M/L) 56-60cm,(L/XL)59-63cm
- Portable Helmet Bag and Visor;Come with Visor and Protected from sun, while The portable Helmet backpack is convenient for you carry it
What's to like about the KINGBIKE Adult/Youth Bike Helmet
The KINGBIKE Adult/Youth Bike Helmet boasts of a strong and durable carbonite shell for protection and comes with a rear safety light.
What's not to like about the KINGBIKE Adult/Youth Bike Helmet
This helmet may be a bit small for larger adults as it is more of a youth helmet. The buckle may tend to break or give.
When you are looking for the best mountain bike helmet, it is vital that you assess the type of riding you do – recreation or extreme. This influences the features you need in a helmet. Keep in mind that safety always comes first.
Finding the correct style and fit can save your life. Many helmets come with additional features, but durability and fit are the main priority.
All of the helmets on this list are safety certified and provide proper protection in a collision. With that being said, our top recommendation is the Schwinn Thrasher Helmet. This helmet is one of the most popular helmets on the market thanks to its 21 integrated air vents that offer excellent breathability.
The dual fit adjustment system gives you a custom fit while the moisture-wicking pads reduce sweat in the helmet. Plus, the inner pads are removable and machine washable.